Donald,

On 20 févr. 2014, at 15:16, Donald Griggs wrote:

> Am I right that fractional exposures will always have one as the numerator?
> I.e., you might record an exposure as "1.5" seconds, but never as "3/2"
> seconds?   If so, then that might simplify things.

Yes, no 3/2, only 1/x and regular REALs.

> The example below creates a column named "canon" to hold the canonical
> exposure string value for sorting and grouping.
> It assumes any non-decimal fractions will begin with the string "1/"

Thank you for this example, the idea of storing the computed number into the
database is very good and made me rethink the initial database feeding. I'm
using exiftool to script EXIF reading from my files. exiftool has a very nice
option that allows the reading of raw data. Exposure Time, displayed in "raw"
is the REAL equivalent to my strings: 1/200 is read as 0.005. Very handy.
I'm going to redesign my database in order to include raw data aside
human-readable data when I need it.

thanks,
Patrick