On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 3:44 AM, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:

> On 4 Mar 2014, at 1:15am, romtek <rom...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have a question based on my observation. According to your numbers for
> > 5400 RPM disk, one write op should take about 11 ms. However, it often
> > takes only about 1 ms on HostGator drives on its shared hosting servers.
> > Are there drives that are SO much faster than 5400 RPM ones?
>
> I'll bet that the hosting servers are virtual machines and the drives are
> virtual drives, not physical drives.  Everything is actually done in RAM
> and just flushed to physical disk every so often.

A related anecdote: i develop primarily on 64-bit hardware but very often
have a 32-bit VM open for portability testing, and in my experience my
sqlite-based apps _invariably_ run 20-30% faster in my 32-bit VM than on my
64-bit HW. While i cannot with 100% certainty say why that is, others have
suggested (quite possibly correctly) that this is probably due to relevant
parts of the VM's virtual drive container being cached within the host OS.

--
----- stephan beal
http://wanderinghorse.net/home/stephan/