Gert:

Did you build it yourself, or download a binary?  Are you running on XP, or
a later OS?

I ask these questions because I have seen this code due to c dll runtime
issues like (msvcrt100.dll), etc.
Depending on what tool was used to build the binary, some changes may need
to be made to the build process so that the binary runs on all platforms XP
- win8.  In particular, DS2012 broke the ability to make XP-compatible
builds, and the builder is using that, then (s)he needs to select the
'v110_xp' toolset to make a binary that runs on all platforms.

All this is purely a guess, and could easily be wrong; I can't take a peek
at the lib myself right now; but I mention this now on the chance that it
saves some time debugging.

-dave