Update: never mind what I mentioned below; he said he is using mingw (it
really does help to read the entire thread!)

But I have tried and failed to load it (the prebuilt binary) myself; I
notice there is a further dependency on libgcc-s-dw2-1.dll, so maybe that's
the origin of Gert's problem.

-dave