On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 4:01 PM, Mike Jarmy <mja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> something like that seems like its probably a necessary first step to being
> able to build a JSON index on disk.

To be fair, there are other ways it could be done.  But I would prefer
a mechanism that allows for external plugins, and for that the
opaque-type-coercible-to-SQLite-datatype concept seems like the one
optimization that's needed.

Also, I'd prefer a mechanism that "extends syntax" only by adding
user-defined functions (and virtual tables) that implement a JSON
(XML, ...) query language with expressions passed as strings or
otherwise disambiguated from the surrounding SQL in an extensible way.
(I'm not a fan of the Postgres hstore operators.  Can you tell?)

Nico