On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 6:53 PM, RSmith <rsm...@rsweb.co.za> wrote:

> By the way, my Oracle friends should intersect here if need be, but I
> believe the oracle method of /decimal(n,m)/ is simply a representation
> directive and constraint, there is no native datatype that actually stores
> or communicates such a value. Oracle stores it internally in a very
> specific arrangement of bytes and you need to still interpret it in your
> software.

Not so. OCI has native support for Number client side via OCINumber and
associated functions to convert to native C types, and can do 128-bit
integer arithmetic for example even when the C/C++ native types cannot. And
it's a value type, not an opaque type, so you can decode the internal
well-known byte rep if you want to even. --DD