On 2/13/2015 9:57 AM, Dominique Devienne wrote:

Warnings are always a tradeoff between pointing out what could be
mistakes/oversights versus senseless noise.

Most times I get the unreachable warning in my code is when I'm actively
coding, experimenting, moving things around, then when I'm done I silence
them one way or another.

D'accord - but it poses an interesting dichotomy: The above is great, however in open-source scenarios - compiling someone else's code with your new special compiler directives where the compiler then produces warnings which shouldn't be warnings - and then requesting the original coder to "fix" their code - this can't ever be a useful thing.

Not 100% sure (I don't use Clang day to day), but I think I remember
reading that one way to silence this Clang warning is via extra parens, if
((bool-test)) { ... }. You're telling Clang "this one's not an oversight,
thank you". Small enough concession to having useful warnings in other
places, no? Certainly less ugly than using the preprocessor IMHO. My $0.02.

Sure, but again, having to spend energy after-the-fact on "fixing" code that isn't broken - My vote will always be for fixing the compiler.