On windows, malloc returns null if the allocation fails. Sqlite detects
this and returns an error.

On linux, malloc may return a non null yet invalid pointer and only fail
when the memory is accessed because it wasn't really available.

If Sqlite is not at fault when posix APIs lie about file locking, I don't
think Sqlite is responsible when malloc lies about what should be
considered a failed memory allocation which should return null.