On Dec 9, 2015 8:06 AM, "Richard Hipp" <drh at sqlite.org> wrote:

> On 12/9/15, David Baird <dhbaird at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Looks like it's fixed, as long as I stick to new versions. *cross
fingers*

> Bisecting shows that the change in behavior occurred here:
> https://www.sqlite.org/src/timeline?c=56bc5ce8
>
> As others have a pointed out, though, the "desired" behavior is
> "undocumented".  SQLite nor any other SQL database engine is obligated
> to provide the behavior you want.  It happens as you like purely by
> chance.  Do not depend on this behavior since it might change at any
> moment, without warning.

I tend to agree with this, that clients shouldn't depend on specific rowids
being generated repeatably/deterministically. But that's not the concern I
wanted to highlight. My cocnern is that: the database engine shouldn't
needlessly waste/discard perectly good chunks of rowids: That is what's
actually undesired. Aside from that, I agree that client shouldn't care
what particular rowids were generated. If it started at 999999999 and
counted down, I wouldn't care, as long ad it is making good (contiguous)
allocation of the key space.