Given the number of the threads in the list, it seems a

> lot of people want hierarchical data in SQLite :-)

Throwing in another $.02 here, my company had a need to ingest JSON of
various formats into SQLite databases in low-power embedded devices.  We
wrote the utility program described here:
https://www.aterlo.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/json2sqlite.pdf

The program works well as long as your JSON's depth is bounded. I would not
claim that it supports schemaless data models, but we would love to hear
suggestions for design improvements.

We would be happy to clean this up for open source publication if there is
enough interest.

Eric