I can see why they're doing it as well.  Some people have different
preferences to grab the repo.  I have a script running on one of my linux
boxes that checks periodically (Once a week?  Once a month?  I can't
remember) for all links on the SQLite download page.  If I don't have the
URL or file sitting locally, I download it.

"Eventually" I'm going to automate a process to
- Automatically upload the amalgamation source code into my VCS (Which no
one uses anymore, I can't get hold of the original developers to see if I
can have the source code, and the VCS is 100% Win32)
- compile the amalgamation and upload the DLL to the VCS

I'm sure there are services out there that has ties directly into github
and/or sourceforge that'll do certain requests to do automatic "stuff" with
whatever has changed.  I think Jenkins has some kind of tie in, but I've
never used it directly.