> The question is: what should a database language do? Andl can already match
> or surpass SQL on database programming tasks, but is that interesting enough?

As much as anything, that depends on what problem you're targeting, and even
your audience. At the risk of rekindling the High/low/assembly level
discussion, certainly at the high level, languages generally all have different
design goals, and because of this they appeal to different people.

This list appears to have a very high proportion of computer science types, so
we see discussions about recursions and "syntactic sugar" and all that jazz;
conversely, ask on a list for web-developers and you'll get a very different
set of answers.

Personally, as someone whose SQL-fu is weak, and who isn't a computer
scientist, one of the best things about SQL is that it's English-like and
there's a very low barrier to entry.

Consider this statement, which is about as complex as 90% of my SQL ever gets:

        SELECT * from buildings where height > 30 and colour = 'mauve'

With just 2 minutes of explaining I could probably get my mum to understand
what was going on there. Ok, that's an unrealistically low bar, but many people
who use SQL just have simple queries/problems. While I appreciate andl doesn't
have documentation yet, it doesn't look like it will pass the "not a computer
scientist" test for usability.
Just my 2c.

Cheers,
Jonathan