So the problem is occurring on a call to GetFileAttributesEx().

I'm guessing that this is an adverse interaction with an anti-virus
(AV) program.

The scenario might be something like this.

(1) SQLite writes one small part of a complex change to the database file
(2) The AV seizes control and scans the entire database, taking a long
time to do so (because the file is large) and denying SQLite access
while it does.
(3) The AV finally releases control of the file
(4) Goto 1.