On 30 Oct 2015, at 4:22pm, Mark Hamburg <mhamburg.ml at gmail.com> wrote:

> I knew it would dirty the whole page. I was thinking about the memory work
> and ignoring that the disk I/O swamps that.

As someone who is not part of the development team I can write this.

I can't answer your question, but your pattern of thinking suggests that you're
trying to optimize SQLite performance in some way.  But the questions you're
asking suggest that you don't actually know of anything SQLite does in a bad
way.  So you're chosing the wrong things to criticize.

SQLite is seriously good.  The things it does, and the choices made when it was
written have been under test for ten years.  And the developer team are all
professional computer scientists: they not only have programming experience,
but they've read all the articles and books you'd expect them to have read.

So I urge you to go out and experiment.  Write some code which uses the API.
If you come back to us with poor performance in something then we have a proper
basis for discussion.  But right now you're just pointlessly learning details
about SQLite -- which you could learn by reading the source code -- and
mentioning things which are done the way they are for good reasons.

Simon.