Gerry;

I trashed the email I was going to send.  You had the same line of thought
as me in regards to chopping the file on a per-day basis, but, what made me
trash it was any auto-numbered PKs that would be a hassle in new files,
unless that information was put into the new DB upon creation.

I agree that when files get large, a revamp of how the data needs to be
stored has to be examined when the new consideration of how to backup the
sucker becomes more of a logistical nightmare.  With MySQL, data
replication like that is somewhat a breeze.  With SQLite, the convenience
and portability applications granted by SQLite die when files become too
large to deal with for backup purposes.