On 2016/06/17 3:35 PM, John McKown wrote:
On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 1:37 AM, Chris Locke <ch...@chrisjlocke.co.uk>
wrote:

I fail to see what any of this has to do with sqlite.  I thought this was a
mailing list for sqlite?  Seeing queries (no pun intended) on sql
statements is very subjective, especially with the limited data provided by
the original poster.
Everyone will give helpful advice, but it won't stop there, and as soon as
the original poster has another query (no pun intended) which would result
in a schema change, this would have to be explained, etc.

A specific group on SQL is required.

​Perhaps so. But such a group would run into problems because it would be a
case of "whose SQL?" The four "big" ones that I know of are: SQLite,
PostgreSQL, Oracle, and IBM's DB2. The basics are the same, but each has
their own peculiarities. ​I don't know what the intent of this forum really
is. It is only for SQLite related "perculiarities"? Or does it include
something like the OP's question which is basically "how do I do a SQLite
query to get this information?" I don't really know. I also monitor the
PostgreSQL forums and see this "how do I craft an SQL query to ...?" type
question quite often. What is weird to me, is that someone will post such a
question on the _bugs_ forums, phrasing it as "I did this SQL query and it
didn't do what I expected. Please fix your product to make it work." And
the reason it didn't work was because the SQL query is garbage. Ah, the
ever requested "do what I need, not what I said" fix.

I agree, and I would like to even promote posting query questions that will be executed in SQLite here, simply because there are so many followers of this list who learn from the answers of such SQL related questions, even when (or especially when) the answers get into deep down relational theory. I also think the above from Chris makes sense, an SQL-specific side-list might be useful, but in practice I don't think I would bother with both lists - one that has it all is great.

I have not seen any official rules for this list, but I would suggest that SQL questions get included where you are trying to achieve a result or sculpt a query specifically to use in SQLite. It is worth remembering that a good percentage of the SQL used in SQLite is very peculiar to SQLite and SQLite mannerisms (or at a minimum, might behave in ways worth mentioning when run in SQLite).

Who is to judge when a query is so significantly void of SQLite peculiarity that it should definitely be on another list? - I think this judgement activity would take more time than simply reading/answering the question here.

If one can use the SQL elsewhere, also acceptable - many of us use more SQL platforms than just SQLite - but perhaps the question should at least originate when trying to build an SQLite query. I believe this is mostly the case on this forum and I feel this rule is respected in unwritten form by all thus far. Perhaps a time might come when this is no longer the case, however, I'd wait till then to change things.

In short: I wouldn't change a thing yet.

Cheers,
Ryan