In Mr Smiths examples, one statement effect is a direct result of an action
you (subjectively speaking) knowingly did, or did not do, to the car.  You
did not fuel the car.  You did take the wheels off.  There by, your car is
essentially a hunk of metal taking up space.  It doesn't function as
designed.

The second, if you're driving along, blow the radiator hose, break a belt,
spark plug fails, coils and cables start shorting, push a rod through the
engine housing, whatever.  You've got a failure in the system that prevents
the car from function that happens due to indirect activities with the
vehicle.

Both cases essentially make the car not run, or becomes non-functional, or
causes damage.  Say a spark hitting the pool of drying oil on the engine
which sparks a fire?  Or the belt you break happens to be the timing belt?
Piston rod that goes through the case?  Sparks grounding to the engine
instead of in the cylinder head?

For SQLite, running your software where your data store is on the network,
your running the philosophy of the second statement.  Some
people/businesses have run their SQLite database system for YEARS without
an issue.  Myself, I've never been stranded in my 20 years of driving with
any of my vehicles, and trust me, I've driven wrecks of cars, so I've been
lucky.  My mother, however, one time managed to drive about 2 hours down
the highway, then come to a stop sign on an off-ramp, and the transmission
just would not engage in gear when she went to go.

I've NEVER heard of an instance of MySQL, Postgres, MSSQL, or any other
major database that reliably runs on a different machine.  Different
partitions, different file systems, or different hard drives all controlled
by a single OS, yes, but all run ON a single OS, not across a network.

My thoughts on this are all illustrated here :
http://randomthoughts.ca/index.php?/archives/7-Serverless-Servers-using-NFS-Why-it-cant-happen.html