> Just for my information, what is the purpose of this temporary file?  I see
>> that -journal file is always stored to disk.
>>

> It's a statement journal:
>
>   https://www.sqlite.org/tempfiles.html#stmtjrnl
>
> Recent changes mean that the first 64KiB of a statement journal are always
> stored in main-memory, and the temp file only created after the file grows
> larger than 64KiB. Which is probably why you did not see the problem
> immediately.

Personally I wish SQLite would fail upon open or perhaps on first write if
it cannot write the temporary file. I think this would make it easier for
programmers to detect and deal with this kind of issue. Maybe make it an
explicit compile-time option to wait until the temporary file is larger
than 64KiB before opening the temp file. Just a thought.