Hi.

I'm creating a specialized index table to a persistent table that I need to
speed up a one-time operation.  This seems like a great application for a
TEMPORARY table in SQLite, so the index will always be reliably cleaned up.

However, I can't find a way to have REFERENCES to the main table appear in the
temp table.  I want, e.g.

        CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE MySpecializedIndex
        (
                -- etc.
                Symbol INTEGER REFERENCES Symbols(rowid)
        )

For which I get an operational error "no such table: temp.Symbols".

Using "REFERENCES main.Symbols" appears to be a syntax error.

Is it impossible to have references from temp tables to main tables?  If so,
aren't TEMPORARY tables largely useless?

Is there another idiom in SQLite for managing tables that are intended to have
a short life or which should be reliably cleaned up when the DB closes?

Thanks for any information and suggestions!

Randall.