I'm actually kind of surprised more people aren't like 'ya, why isn't 64
bit just available?' ( *pounds on tables* "We Want 64 Bit!", no? )
being fairly low level developers I'd think many of you would know 64 bit
mode has more general purpose registers to carry values and the default
calling ABI is improved to be more of a register centric model.
Both windows and linux 64 bit programs do run a hair faster than their same
32 bit builds.  It's not like night and day and I'd be surprised if it's as
high as 5% gain. Plus, who doesn't have more than 2G of memory and a 64 bit
system that's already responded?