What on earth is going on?

Are you using BMF?

The scanner log is in the server log (never
seen that before) and it's run twice already in minutes, confusing the
blazes out of me and also Custom Scan, which never got a chance to
finish after the first scan.

You seem to be running quite some 3rd party plugins. Could you start to disable some of them to figure out what is causing the scans?

The only thing I can imagine is that LMS is detecting that maybe a few
tracks have been updated since the last scan.

S::U::S::L->rescan should only be called from the scanner OR when using BMF. Or by some code I don't know (3rd party plugin).

--

Michael