Thanks,
I managed to sort most of my files. However, there is quite a number
that has not yet been eliminated from the compilation entry in the
menu.
It seems to me that LMS may not purge the compilations from its
registry?
Also I wonder if it has something to do with the file type and if
.ogg-files are subject to the same tags?
In addition I thought that a value of 1 in "compilation" might make the
files display as one compilation regardless of them being in different
folders but maybe this is not the case?

dsm 6.0 (synology disk station 115) running lms 7.9 -- rpi with a
hifiberry dac+ running picoreplayer (any old version?) -- nokia lumia
running windows phone 8.1 and soundicity -- moto g peregrine xt1039
running cm 13 (android 6.0) -- zettaly avy running android 4.4