I wanted to add to a thread I remember of (a user who chooses to
shutdown his/her NAS) but I couldn't find it back.

Right now I a using Logitech Media Server Version : 7.9.1 - 1491339164 @
Tue Apr 4 21:14:44 UTC 2017 on a Pi 2, connected to a 1st-gen WD green
1TB drive via some no-name USB dock.
Of this setup, only the Pi, SD and OS are to be trusted. The adapter and
drive are expected to be flaky and I rarely use them.

I want to report what I think is iffy/unclear behavior of LMS in this
context: it easily "loses" songs (the files are still there, a rescan
brings them back), or -less often- becomes totally numb.

Obviously the drive and/or adapter are responsible for this. LMS with a
decent USB drive or network mount works perfectly.
I know this, but LMS didn't made it clear to me at all. In fact it took
me a little while to understand what was going on.

So I'm not sure there is something that can be done about it, but if a
dedicated log channel could show "gone" files perhaps it could help
users understand their storage or link isn't up to snuff? Or maybe a
paragraph in the README? It's been a while I didn't read it ;)

HTH

3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9
(linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa
• IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon
Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael
Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by
Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin
Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.