saxon wrote:
> OK I run a number of Squeezebox devices in my home and currently have an
> original Netgear Readynas which has been superb - unbelievably stable
> and reliable and currently runs 2x 2tb drives in it.
>
> We use the server for photos, films and all sorts of other stuff as well
> as all my ripped flac music.
>
> We're running out of storage on the server and this readynas cannot use
> drives larger than 2TB apparently.
>
> I'm thinking of buying another NAS drive and am tempted to stick with
> Netgear - maybe a 212 or even 214 to give greater future proofing of
> capacity - I do some professional photography, models etc and so have a
> lot of photos to store.
>
> I'm also open to changing brand though - perhaps Synology if people
> think they are significantly better.
>
> It seems that running squeezebox server on some of the more recent NAS
> drives can be problematic with installs and configuration so can anybody
> recommend which to buy?
>
> I guess another option might be to buy a second NAS drive and use the
> new one for photos and films and keep my existing readynas just for
> music.  If I was able to move all the movies and photos from the old NAS
> then it's 2x 2TB drives would be more than big enough for all my future
> FLAC/Squeezebox requirements and as I say it seems to be a robust little
> unit actually.
>
> I'd welcome thoughts from any experts!
>
> Saxon

I'm not really in a position to recommend a NAS, as I only have
experience of a QNAP (though it's been pretty much trouble free).
However running LMS on the QNAP was a bit of a hassle, and some time
back I went down the route of running LMS on a Raspberry Pi 3 (using
piCorePlayer), pointing it at the music files held on the QNAP. This is
an excellent setup and I recommend it.

Robert

*Home: *Raspberry Pi 3/piCoreplayer/LMS7.9  with files on QNAP TS-239
Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega
Planar 3 and Naim CD3)
PiCorePlayer(Pi2) with touchscreen and IQAudIO DAC+>Sennheisers
2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired)
*Office:* LMS7.9 running on WiFi MyPassport drive >
piCorePlayer(PiB)/HiFiBerryDAC > Amptastic Amplifier
SqueezePad, iPeng as controllers

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob