While renice does modify the priority it does not modify CPU use. And
though I was able to connect to the LMS web UI after its CPU use fell,
the minute I clicked on anything in the UI to "show" content, its CPU
shot back up to 100% and now I cannot connect again.

So it's not just priority. On a RPi3 running the latest Raspbian and the
latest LMS nightly with Perl 5.24.x etc. The scanning "build index"
process effectively renders LSM unusable.

Back to my original question -- how can this be fixed? Or can it?