To summarise my solution I'd just like to note that it can all be
streamlined by combining the socat and ssh commands on the client side
into one script, and by adding the name of the server's socat script to
the end of the ssh command.  I also added 'killall socat' to the two
socat scripts before the socat command.

So on the client side I have:

Code:
--------------------

  killall socat
  socat -T3600 upd4-.... & ssh -L ... user@LMS-dns-address
name-of-server-socat-script

--------------------

And on the server, the "name-of-server-socat-script" contains:

Code:
--------------------

  killall socat
  socat tcp4-....

--------------------

This seems to work reliably thus far.

LMS 7.9.1 on VortexBox Midi box, Xubuntu 17.10, FLACs 16->24 bit,
44.1->192kbps.  Touch & EDO. 2nd Touch standard.
LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (to A308CR amp & ESLs) &
Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
Alternatively Minimserver & Upplay to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC
renderers.
Squeezelite to Meridian USB Explorer DAC to PC speakers/headphones.
Wireless Xubuntu 17.10 laptop firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with
Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.