Check out server.log.

I think this was a typo - I found a presets section for each player in
/mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/slimserver/prefs/server.prefs

Oops... of course you're right. I have to type "please provide your server.log" so often, it's become second nature :-)

The preset I copied is a radio station.
text: 106.6 | Smooth East Midlands (Easy Listening)
type: audio

So in addition to the 'title:', 'url:', 'icon:' and 'type:' fields in
your CLI syntax there also seems to be a 'text:' field.  I'm guessing

I guess "text" would be set to whatever you pass as the title.

Any tips for how to get the URL of the currently playing playlist item
via the command line in a bash script?

check out the "status" query.

--

Michael