bpa wrote:
> I have a number of data points but IMO the bottom line is that LMS will
> not play 24bit ALAC trancoded to PCM without changes to LMS code.  There
> is no problem playing ALAC transcoded as Flac.
>
> 24 bit Flac transcoded to PCM by flac will play in ffplay if S32le is
> chosen.
> 24 bit ALAC transcoded by faad will play in ffplay if s32be is chosen -
> LMS expect S32le so s32be stream is played as white noise.
>
> Looking at data stream sent to Squeezelite.
> Flac streams transcoded as PCM are tagged at audio/x-aiff.  Player seems
> to play 16 & 24 bit PCM no problem.
> ALAC streams transcoded as PCM are tagged at audio/L16.

I think I mostly follow what you are saying here, but are you referring
to all 24 bit alac files? I have many other 24bit alac files encoded
using other encoders and they play just fine and the receiver reports
them as being 24bit.

Whilst it may be worth fixing this in LMS to help it's overall
robustness, I'm wondering whether the easier solution for myself might
be to modify my script that produces these files so that the files are
S32le rather than S32be? It seems S32le is more common, so I'm not sure
why ffmpeg seems to be defaulting to S32be? Is there a way to specify
S32le when converting a file from flac to alac?