BosseJ wrote:
> Yes, it sound strange.
> First, LMS does get any IP-address by itself, the OS on the device (the
> PI3B+) does by dhcp broadcast on the connected interfaces. LMS uses
> whatever IP-address the OS reports, but LMS is not designed to handle
> dual networks as far as I know (it can, but may be confused sometimes).
> When you say that you have both ethernet and wifi connected on the
> PI3B+, you have dual network interfaces on that machine active at the
> same time. If you haven't set any static IP-address on either ethernet
> or wifi on the PI3B+ and you still get IP-addresses when connected, then
> you have at least two dhcp-servers on you network. And they are probably
> not the same since they provide IP-addresses from different sub-nets.
> Or I may have misunderstood your network, of course :-)
>
> Some clarifying answers would help I think:
> 1. Into what kind of device is the other end of the ethernet cable
> connected? A switch - what other devices are connected to that then? A
> router - is it the same as the wifi hotspot or something else?
> 2. What kind of device is the mobile hotspot? Your mobile smartphone? A
> 3G/4G router?
> (I am trying to clarify how many internet connections you have and the
> rough layout of your network.)
> 3. What application is "My Music" and on what device are you running
> that? (My Music is a menu item on the web GUI on LMS, is that what
> you're referring to? Where do you then run the browser to the LMS web
> GUI?)
>
> Also, to clarify your network, please log in to your Pi3B+ using ssh
> (for example Putty on a Windows PC) from some local computer.
> In the terminal ssh-window, run command >
Code:
--------------------
--------------------
> >  and show us the result.
> Next, run command >
Code:
--------------------
--------------------
> > , both with and without the ethernet cable attached and show the
> results.
>
> Hopefully it will be a bit clearer and maybe somewhat easier to
> provide useful advice.

thanks folks for your responses!
first, let me clarify my goals and network configuration.
since i've recentlly cut the cord, my internet connection is via mobile
hotspot (galaxy s8+ running oreo 8.1).

- my raspberry pi 3b+ is running raspbian 'stretch'
- it has eth0 connection with static ip address, 192.168.1.23 specified
in /etc/dhcpcd.conf
- eth0 has NO router or gateway specification.  in fact, if i do specify
it, wifi will not work.  i read elsewhere that the system can have only
one gateway, so this make sense i suppose since when wlan0 gets its
dynamic address from the hotspot, it also gets its gateway assigned as
well.
- my LAN has no router or switch. desktop, laptops and the pi all use
the powerline ethernet adapters, so it's simply a backbone with no hub.
i have already tried putting in a physical router but to no benefit.
- when hotspot is available, pi always gets assigned 192.168.43.252 and
everything is beautiful. spotify streaming works and i can play music
stored on the usb stick attached to the pi.
- jivelite is the interface to the soft player squeezelite, and this is
"My Music" i was referring to.

BUT here's the problem:
- when i take the hotspot away (to downstairs to work on the desktop),
of course as expected, i cannot stream spotify.
- but i should be able to play local music (it's on a usb stick plugged
into the pi itself), but cannot.  when i click on My Music icon, it
displays that spinning wheel and the statement "Connecting...  to
raspberryPi" or something close to it.  and it times out eventually.

so my goal is to be able to move the hotspot away and still be able to
listen to local music.
when hotspot returns, spotify and internet radio all work as expected.
not a huge deal but still irritating... and i keep thinking it should
just work!

i hope i have described the situation a bit better this time.
tomorrow, i will ssh into pi and provide the routing info.

Paul, your idea about --httpaddr 192.168.1.23 is something i wanted to
try.
'cause LMS has the "old" hotspot as its addr and now when the hotspot is
gone, of course it won't and can't respond.
do you happen to know where in Raspian the LMS execute command lies?

i'm curious how LMS decides to bind to wifi addr rather than the static
eth0?