pavowren wrote:
> thanks guys for your valuable, thoughtful ideas!
> d6jg/BosseJ, let me mull over your suggestions but for now,
> i 'seem' to have come up with a working solution.
>
> 1) plugged in an old linksys router (running dd-wrt) and gave it
> 192.168.1.1 lan addr.  i did this once before but hated the idea of it
> being ON all the time.
> 2) specified this to be the gateway/router for eth0.  previously this
> was a serious problem since when hotspot was nearby, it would not be
> used; i.e., no internet and could not stream spotify.
> 3) solution for #2 was to specify "interface wlan0 / metric 100"
> (suggested by epoch1970) in /etc/dhcpcd.conf indicating that we prefer
> wifi over wired interface.  with this, now when hotspot appears, pi has
> internet access.
>
> and the setup is working out for now... but the questions remain:
> 1) why can't jivelite deal with the simplest setup of all components
> being in the same box? why not default to localhost when any connection
> fails?
> 2) how can i get rid of the linksys router, a 'dummy' gateway?
> 3) jivelite being UI for the player squeezelite, why is it talking
> directly to LMS?  i imagined the design was
> jivelite<-->squeezelite<-->lms.

Glad to see you found a solution with reasonable changes!

If I may comment on your questions:

Code:
--------------------
    1) why can't jivelite deal with the simplest setup of all components being
in the same box? why not default to localhost when any connection fails?
--------------------

I think JiveLite was designed to emulate the behavior of a dedicated
player device such as the SB3 or Touch. In this scenario the LMS server
was always on some other computer over the network. Squeezelite is
simply the network stream decoder translating the stream (or file) to a
DAC playable format.

Code:
--------------------
    2) how can i get rid of the linksys router, a 'dummy' gateway?
--------------------

I'm sure you work something out. You have a couple of suggestions above
:)

Code:
--------------------
    3) jivelite being UI for the player squeezelite, why is it talking directly
to LMS?  i imagined the design was jivelite<-->squeezelite<-->lms

No, JiveLite is not the UI for Squeezelite. JiveLite is the UI for LMS
since that is where the music is stored and everything is managed, where
the functional additions are implemented in plugins etc. Squeezelite
have no such functionality whatsoever.

2 Touch, 1 Picoreplayer 4.0.0 on RaspBerry 3B with 7" display
LMS latest nightly on Ubuntu 18.04.1 on Intel Core2 Duo E4500 @ 2.20GHz,
2GB
All wired