To the original question:

You can have multiple sort fields just as you can have multiple artist
fields.  For instance, I often have multiple artists AND artistsort tags
in tracks.  The trick is to make sure you place the multiple tags in the
same order for both the main field and the sort field.

Admittedly, I do not use albumartistsort fields (nor do I actually use
multiple albumartists), but it should work the same way. I would just
try putting two albumartistsort tags to reflect each albumartist (or
three or more if that is the case).

Now for the classical issues described later, I have a two tiered
approach that starts with a system similar to the previous post.  In one
tier I have a series of tags (many custom) for Opus, Movement, Work,
Conductor, Soloist, Orchestra/Ensemble, Period/Style, etc.  This tier
stores information that I considered fixed and has an intent of
capturing all the information I want for a recording.  There are a
series of custom tags here also that capture information about the
original source "Source Album Title", "Source Track Title", "Source
Track Number", "Year Published", etc.  The importance of these go into
the second tier where I break the concept of an album, CD, etc. and move
to a more natural orientation to the work.

In LMS, I use Customscan and Custombrowse just as the previous poster.

The second tier is essentially a technique for dealing with
devices/software/etc that have no flexibility for custom tags. This tier
takes information from the first tier tags and uses it to fill in the
basic tags that most software deals with (Album, Artist, Title, Genre,
etc.).  I mostly do this using MP3tag to create actions that compile
information together into one field (or perhaps multi-valued fields,
like Artist), so that all the information is accessible, albeit it a
little less intuitive.  For instance, the Artist field might contain the
Orchestra, Conductor, Composer, Soloist.  The title may combine the
Movement, Work, and Opus.  Album could be similar.

This process breaks the per disk cataloging I would normally use for
popular music genres, which is why I create the "Source" tags described
earlier.  The information is backed up if I were to ever need to go back
to the original disk.  The actual files are still binned in folders per
disk also. The only exception to this method is in the few classical CDs
I own that are truly compilations or more individual or small ensemble
situations; these are situations where one pianist plays a variety of
pieces.

It is a lot of work, however, and my library of classical music is not
terribly big.  But, I do something similar (but different) for jazz
recordings too in order to track the individual performers and their
instruments.  It's all tedious.  I dread the day LMS potentially goes
away as there is little software out there, especially on a
server/streaming system that has the versatility.