Thanks all, I'm still not sure on the root cause, I suspect it's to do
with the Normalisation settings as mentioned. However, I've found a
solution...

On pulling the unit apart to check hardware connections I realised I'd
used a much better quality amp than I'd remembered, and that it should
have plenty of power. Turns out I had completely forgotten that I'd
compensated for this by using the 10 band EQ setting in that
PiCorePlayer to limit the max volume to a safe level for a 7 year olds
ears (I went with below 89db). I've just tweaked those EQ levels back up
to adjust for the drop in sound volume and it's all good again :)

Thanks all.