I figured out the issue. It was permissions-related. After I reset the
permissions on the Music share back to the default, LMS could read the
share and scan the music files.

But that leaves me with an issue. Currently the guest user and group is
the owner of the share as far as I can tell, and I don’t want that user
to be the owner. I want to limit access to different users so that some
can read/write while others can only read, and perhaps others cannot see
the share at all (like Everyone). I don’t have much experience with
Linux permissions, but they seem confusing — I would have thought that
making admin the owner and setting permissions so that they
automatically are inherited would have allowed the admin user to scan
the files, but it didn’t work. Any ideas what I did wrong and how to
accomplish this?

Thanks
David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk