echable wrote:
> Believe me, I have spent 12- hour days trying to work this out. Every
> set of instructions seem to differ. And I don't have the knowledge or
> technical skills to write a guide. Since it's always mentioned to use a
> VPN, in big bold red letters nonetheless, it's an omission that there's
> zero info, not even a link, on how to do that. The people who wrote all
> those warnings are using a VPN already and could write a guide please?

The principles are always the same but the choice of equipment to do it
makes the specifics totally different almost on a case by case basis.

Basics
You need a VPN server either on you router or elsewhere in your network
with the appropriate ports forwarded to that device.
You need a publicly addressable IP address or a DynamicDNS address.
You need some client software on your phone/device that will talk to the
VPN server in the right language / protocol.

General advice.
Forget PPTP - its insecure and won't work on Apple devices or Macs.
This leaves you with a choice of L2TP (various types), ipsec or openVPN.
What does your router VPN Server support?

VB2.4[/B] STORAGE *QNAP TS419P (NFS)
[B]Living Room* - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
*Office* - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3
-> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
*Dining Room* -> SB Boom
*Kitchen* -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
*Bedroom (Bedside)* - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
*Bedroom (TV)* - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
Everything controlled by iPeng