gorman wrote:

> I had to use ffmpeg because, as far as I can see, LAME does not accept
> time offsets when decoding
> (https://svn.code.sf.net/p/lame/svn/trunk/lame/USAGE). Don't know how
> the internal functionality of mp3 transcoding works (when lowering
> bitrates) because that is capable of seeking but the convert.conf line
> does not show any instruction for that. I could probably be using ffmpeg
> for flac files too but I guess there's no point or added value.

I was a bit slow in catching this very interesting and learned thread.
I've been using equalization for years, and the fact of not being able
to seek in mp3 tracks always bugged me: thanks for this solution!
Although I don't have many mp3s, I did not like the anomalous behavior.

May I add a comment. I have noticed that in your equalization you use:
gain -6.9 equalizer 30 0.43q +6.2
the difference of -0.7 dB might not leave enough headroom to prevent
clipping when applying the math for the equalization. I have noticed
this in many occasions, and I run now with gain -3dB even though my
equalization is only negative. Although not exactly the same problem,
there is a hint of why it is so at this link
https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/intersample-overs-in-cd-recordings
(apologies if is trivial knowledge for you)

FWIW, I prefer to use an effects file for sox with the command
--effects-file=/my/path/to/the/file/sox-effects so that I can more
easily tinker with the filters when I feel like, or move around the
furniture.