BosseJ wrote:
> Now that Ubuntu has released the ".1" upgrade to 20.04, is there any
> experience on running LMS on this?
> I have read alex.h's excellent start script (linked in a post above)
> which explains that the start-stop-daemon is discontinued in 20.04 and I
> wonder if anything has changed since, such as incorporating alex-h's
> startscipt in LMS or someone has provided an update of the
> start-stop-daemon script in Ubuntu. Or some other solution.

As a follow-up: I was worried enough about some of the reports here to
pause my planned upgrade of my main server from Ubuntu 18.04.5 to
20.04.1 while I tested a fresh install of Ubuntu (server version) on an
IntelNUC I had available.

On the IntelNUC machine:
1) after OS install, I installed nfs-common and mounted the music files
residing on my main server over NFS and made sure it was working ok.
Nothing else was installed.
2) I downloaded LMS (logitechmediaserver_8.0.0~1602486506_amd64.deb)
using wget
3) installed with "sudo -i <path to dowloaded LMS .deb>", but that
failed with unresolved dependency for libio-socket-ssl-perl
4) "apt install libio-socket-ssl-perl" also failed because of unresolved
dependencies, but "apt --fix-broken install" was recommended.
5) running "apt --fix-broken install" resolved all issues; a handful of
other packages were downloaded and installed in addition to
libio-socket-ssl-perl, but unfortunately I didn't make a note of them
:-(

After this LMS started nicely using "systemctl start
logitechmediaserver". No problem with start-stop-daemon, it was there -
installed as part of the OS-package (package lsb-base). (I suspect
alex.h's problems arose from a failed OS update?)
I then ran LMS on the IntelNUC for 2-3 days to make sure there were no
other sissues, but none appeared. I then upgraded my main server to
Ubuntu 20.04.1, and much to my relief the upgrade went fine and LMS
worked as before.
(My main server is very old, cirka 2007 I believe. I installed Ubuntu
12.04 LTS in 2013 and since I have upgraded to 14.04 -> 16.04 -> 18.04,
so it has most likely picked up a lot of entropy in terms of old and
unsupported packages etc. OS upgrades don't remove packages that are
installed outside the package manager.)

If there is any interest in what extra packages were installed when
running "apt --fix-broken install", I'd be happy to retrace my steps and
massage the IntelNUC with a new fresh install.

2 Touch, 2 Picoreplayer  v6.1.0 on RaspBerry 3B
LMS 8.0.0 on Ubuntu 20.04.1 on Intel Core2 Duo E4500 @ 2.20GHz, 2GB. All
wired
Main audio system: Magnepan 3.6, amp "Gdis 400", DAC & pre: NAD M51,
streamers: SB Touch // NAD M50