I have resurrected this old thread and tested a full rescan on Xubuntu
20.04 last night. It still doesn't work here, the scan hangs after
scanning the music files (is hanging for 12 hours now). Scanner.log and

At which stage does it stop?

server.log doesn't give much info, but I can post it here if needed. Is
logging with more detail possible?

Yes, please. You can also enable scanner logging in Settings/Advanced/Logging to get more information. The log file can become huge.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/T3RctyzGgNg0oFDubq6a

As posted earlier: an incremental scan works fine and is finished within
a few minutes.

I think that would skip the DB optimization step - which has caused some issues in the past. What LMS are you on? What hardware? Enough RAM and disk space?

--

Michael