Tidal HIFI used to deliver (at least they claimed) CD quality audio. In
the past Tidal 'master' tracks where FLAC (lossless) compressed
24bit/96kHz files. Then MQA came into the picture, MQA is a proprietary

format to (lossy) compress the additional samples into the LSB bits  of
the audio data. Although not many details ar known it boils down to the
fact that e.g. that take 96Khz/17 bit audio, downsample this to 48kHz
fs, then use the the lower 2 or 3 bits to store some (lossy) compressed
data. This compressed data is used in the (MQA licensed) playback chain
to 'recover' (which is in fact not possible) the original 96kHz fs.
There is a lot of filtering an processing done with MQA, whther it sound
better or worse is a matter of personal taste, but it is definately not
tha master recording as the performer and the audio engineer intended it
to be.

Since MQA is proprietary, the process can only be done on licensed
hardware and/or software. At this moment many of the Tidal tracks are
being 'upgraded' to 'hi-res'. In fact, many of those 'hi-res' tracks are
44.1kHz 16 FLAC MQA encoded, which means the lower 3 bits contain noise
if not processed by an MQA licenced DAC or decoder. This means you get
worse than CD quality for a premium price when played back via an SB or
one of the many existing receivers with Tiday support. For me the reason
to cancel my Tidal subscription after many years.

Besides the above, feaures like room correction, digital crossovers and
digital volume control algorithims also will make things worse when
applied to MQA encoded audio.

MQA is nothing more than a lot of marketing fuzz to sell the same music
again in another format. To introduce a new form of DRM and to make
people buy new hardware. The fact that it's proprietary implies also the
risk that you end up with something like Betamax or SACD for which you
might not able to buy playback devices later.

One of the many articles about MQA:
https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/163302855-is-mqa-doa

Brings me aslo to a question, it seems Qobuz is still delivering true CD
quality, which might replace my Tidal subscription. Is Qobuz this
supported by LMS ?