And ...

Removing that file (well, all of the .mp4 files, there were 8 total) has
allowed the scan to continue:

Media Scan Details
Discovering files/directories: /mnt/music/music   (64807 of 64807)
Complete  00:02:21
Scanning new music files: /mnt/music/music   (5766 of 59562)   Running
 00:09:56
/mnt/music/music/Audiobook--NonFiction/The Great Influenza/127 - The Great
Influenza - John M. Barry - 127 of 324.mp3

Lesson learned. Is there any way to tell LMS to actually report in the UI
when a file causes such a failure? The log file itself does not report an
error at this point. It simply stops with no further entries. Can this kind
of failure be trapped (try/catch/finally?) so the end-user isn't left
wondering what happened? "Terminated unexpectedly" indicates there is some
type of monitoring of the scanning at work.

None of this, unfortunately, helps with understanding why the error began
yesterday after I tried to add some new albums because this offending .mp4
file has been in the library for a long time and was not one of the files I
attempted to add.

Guy

--

“Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of
human existence.”

― Aristotle