erland wrote:
> I think we need to clear up a few things to avoid confusion, there are
> probably two parts of this if you like to replace my
> MultiLibrary/CustomBrowse plugins:
>
> 1. To create the library contents (=fill the library_tracks table), can
> be done in at least three ways as suggested earlier I this thread. The
> easiest way is to just do an advance search and select to save it as a
> library, the other two ways mentioned requires some hacking and writing
> raw SQL statement.
>
> 2. To create menus that is able to browse the library. This is done
> automatically by LMS as long as you don’t want any customized behavior
> in the menus except limiting content to the library you have created.
> However, for some people limiting content isn’t enough because they have
> also used Custom Browse plugin to customize the behavior of the menus.
> In this case you would need to create the Custom Browse menus you like
> for each library and the menu configuration needs to be customized by
> editing the Custom Browse menu configuration XML/SQL to join with
> library_tracks instead of multilibrary_track. You will need to hardcode
> the library id each menu should use in each SQL used in the
> configuration of each menu. Since I haven’t used LMS 7.9 or later I
> don’t know if the library id used in library_tracks is displayed in LMS
> web interface or if you need to pick it up from prefs file or
> library_tracks table, either way it’s a manual moment to check which
> library id a created library got after creating the library.
> Theoretically you can do a menu template in Custom Browse so you will be
> able to create the menu by just specifying the library id in one place
> for each menu/library but then we are pretty deep into Custom Browse so
> you really need to know what you are doing and need to understand the
> template language used in addition to XML/SQL. There is no user
> interface in Custom Browse to create new menu templates so if like to
> create a template you would have to use a text editor and save he
> template xml/template file in the template directory you have configured
> in Custom Browse.
>
> I don’t think the id for a library changes when you do a rescan but
> someone who have used LMS 7.9 or later have to tell for sure. If it
> changes every rescan it won’t work with the Custom Browse plugin.
>
> Having said this, I think it’s suitable for people who have previously
> used Multi Library plugin to limit content in menus to check if they can
> use the built-in virtual library functionality without relying on Custom
> Browse.
>
> If you have also customized the behavior of the menus so you still need
> to use Custom Browse plugin in step 2 above I’m not sure it’s worth the
> effort. In this case I think it’s important to say what’s missing in the
> standard menu behavior so it can be improved in LMS core or provided by
> a new simple plugin rather than continuing to rely on Custom Browse,
> [...]
Thanks Erland.  My basic problem is that I play mostly classical music.
It seems few people try to tag such music in any comprehensive way,
retaining the concept of an Album, but adding Work as a series of
Movements.  Since I have Works, I need Work Artists - the primary
performers in Works. I have done all this, using some of your ideas from
many years ago.  Custom Browse and Custom Scan have been essential in
this process, plus multi-library to differentiate classical (i.e.
potentially multi-movement) pieces from other types of music.

I have 22 menu items on my classical menu, some of which are fairly
straight copies of your suggested menus, and some of which could be
derived from standard menus with library views, but many simply can't
without my own SQL.   See below for a list.  Many of these go via Works
to Movements.

Using a fixed value for the library view id is rather impractical with
so many multi-level menus.  If it changed for any reason, a rescan or
complete rebuild, that would be a real pain-in-the-...  With
Multi-library my 2 libraries are listed in the database itself, as 1 and
2.  I can, if I really need to, change these values to match my menus
and do a full rescan.  With prefs holding the id I don't know what may
happen, and it has a feeling of impermanence.

So unless Michael has any ideas, I think I will have to stick with
multi-library and the rest of your plugins, and hope they don't get
broken.33118

|Filename: Screenshot from 2021-01-27 16-19-55.png                  |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33118|

LMS 8.1 on PC, Xubuntu 20.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps.  2
Touches & EDO.
LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz
CR603 UPnP renderers.
Also Minimserver & Upplay to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.
Squeezelite to Meridian USB Explorer DAC to PC speakers/headphones.
Wireless Xubuntu 20.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android mobile with
Squeeze-Ctrl/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.