Thanks, Michael. No, I don't want to open to the Internet. I'm more
concerned with the local browsing experience, which still seems to be
degraded. In addition to the "Not secure" warning which appears in the
browser, when I click on App Gallery, I get a frowny face, which I am
wildly speculating is because Chrome won't let me mix http and https
content (Firefox at least lets me open the app gallery in a different
tab). Does this make any sense or am I confused?

Heh... where's that "App Gallery" link? I should remove/fix/whatever it. But I don't see it on my installation...