If I change the 2000 to 5000 then my playlist with 4000+ tracks in it
won't disappear during a full rescan. That isn't likely to be the
solution but at least indicates it has an effect.

I wonder whether the use of tmp:// instead of file:// is indeed causing issues: the remote scanner would be triggered to prevent storing file information about volatile tracks in the database. But as you figured out it's only keeping around information for a limited number of volatile tracks.

But then I do wonder too, why you'd even have those tmp:// urls in the playlist. I'd suggest you open the playlist file in a text editor and replace all the tmp:// with file://, run a playlist scan, and you should be good.