No, I don't, but I am running TrackStat so am wondering if it might
somehow be related to that - that's the only thing I can think of that
might be accessing the database intermittently that might cause a train
wreck. I do have a plug-in I'm running that inserts little jingles and
voicers and such but I don't think it writes anything, it's just getting
its data from the playlists.

If those jingles come as file:// URLs then they will be scanned and stored in the database. You could use the tmp:// protocol handler to prevent this behaviour.