*The sound of handcuffs still afresh*
[image:
http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/1569/PreviewComp/SuperStock_1569R-9010416.jpg]
*Experience teaches a person a lot.
And
 I am one of them.

Those were the 'college' days.
We used to stay in our hostel
situated near Railway Station,
I used to go to the college with
one of my friends on his scooter at 7.30 am daily.
Also
I had the habit
of collecting magazines from the railway bookstall.
*[image: http://www.indiadaily.org/images/indian_railway_5.jpg]
* It never seemed to be a problem.
But
 on that fateful day,
as usual,
I collected the magazines
and was about to come out of the platform.
I did not notice that
the Express Railway that was chugging away
from the platform.

Quite a few passengers had alighted at the station.
Suddenly
there was a tap on my shoulder
and the menacing voice demanded:
"tickets?"
In a feeble voice
I replied that I did not have one.

*[image:
http://www.nancarrow-webdesk.com/warehouse/storage2/2008-w29/img.276032_t.jpg]

*He pushed me into a dingy room
 and almost snapped the handcuffs around my wrists.
 Handcuffs are special things.

 *[image:
http://media.canada.com/16b6f2ca-3671-421d-b40b-5ee0ea90baea/handcuffed.jpg]

*They can either be used
on a single person or on either wrists of two people.
 There were seven chaps
caught without a ticket,
and the other half of the cuffs were idle.
 I learnt that
they wanted to take the group
to the railway station court.

Just before he snapped the handcuff shut,
 I started pleading innocence
and tried to prove that
I did not travel from that train.
*[image: http://www.tryingtoconceive.com/newSite2/images/sadFace.jpg]
*There was a lot of shouting
and I got to taste the rough,
uncouth side of law enforcement
 that day and was short of crying.

I tried to prove my honesty.
*[image:
http://activerain.com/image_store/uploads/8/5/1/4/3/ar119056881934158.jpg]
*To my good luck
and on hearing the commotion in the room,
their boss entered and enquired.

I repeated my story and informed him that
 I was on my way to the college and,
showed my ID card.
In my desperate attempt to come clean,
I opened and showed the contents of my tiffin box.

The boss asked
whether I could prove that
 I had not got down from that train.

He was not convinced
with my explanation
and
finally
I offered to take him
to my residence hostel
that was behind the railway station.

Meanwhile,
the police brought another person
 in rags to fill the cuff
that was empty on me nearing freedom.

As the day's target of
 'ticketless travellers'
was achieved,
the inspector was magnanimous enough
 to give me a discourse on the railways
 and that he was letting me off as
 I looked like a gentleman.
(Only moments earlier
I was about to be packed off
 and paraded in the
august company of seven 'gentlemen').
*[image: http://kayahardin.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/honesty.jpg]

*He enlightened me on the presence
 of the flying squad on the trains
and their job was to identify people
 choosing to travel without a ticket
 and hand them over to the police.
 Above that,
the handcuffs could be released only in court.

 In fact,
a lot of beggars volunteered to get arrested
as they were assured of a square meal in the prison.
 Luckily,
 I had my tiffin box that day.
*[image: http://beccamcutie.wikispaces.com/file/view/happy-face.gif]
*The inspector
then advised me to purchase
 a platform ticket or at least
take permission from the TT at the gate.

The lesson is when caught
in an embarrassing situation
there should be at least one soul to identify you.

 Otherwise,
 be prepared to spend time
in the lockup room of a railway police station.
 Now,
12 years have passed,
but
I hear the sound of the handcuffs every time
 I enter a platform.*

**
[image: http://i41.tinypic.com/2a9v7df.jpg]
*Hinduism is more a way of life than a method of worship.*
*Dharmo Rakshati Rakshithaha*
*If you protect Dharma, Dharma will in turn protect you.*
*Hindus, If people slap you once, slap them twice!*

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OWNER              : [email protected]; [!! Sriram Savarkar ¡¡]   
MODERATOR      : [email protected]                { !! Âjay Nayak !! }
MODERATOR      : [email protected]>,    "•–([NiCkkkDoN])–•" 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Sriram Savarkar" group.

To modify your list subscription, please send a blank email to:
For posting Messages: [email protected]
Subscribe               : [email protected]
Unsubscribe     : [email protected]
Visit Group     : http://groups.google.com/group/sriram-savarkar?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to