I upgraded to 2.9p2. Although I had no trouble setting up other users to
accept public key login, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong with one of
them.

debug1: got SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_ACCEPT
debug1: authentications that can continue:
publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
debug1: next auth method to try is publickey
debug1: try privkey: /home/billman/.ssh/id_dsa
debug1: try pubkey: /home/billman/.ssh/id_rsa
debug1: authentications that can continue: \
        publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
debug1: next auth method to try is password
[EMAIL PROTECTED]'s password:
debug1: authentications that can continue:
publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
Permission denied, please try again.

After which the password continues to be rejected (it's the correct pw for that
user) and after 3 tries login fails.

I've looked at the modes and ownership for both server and client ~/user
directories, as well for .ssh, all the files for .ssh, and anything else I can
think of. Since this user on the client machine has a different initial group
from that user on the host, I even changed the user's initial groups so they
matched on client and host. Also on the host, the group for the
user's home directory was different, but I changed that too. So ls -l -a
~/.ssh shows identically, including . and .. , on both machines. Permissions are
correct and identical across client and host.

I have no problem adding testuser to both machines and getting login through
public key. Same with root.

Help appreciated: I'm tired and I just don't seem to get it.

-Alex

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Yeah, I'm drunk all right, and you're crazy. Tomorrow I'll
be sober, but you'll still be crazy for the rest of your life."
-W.C. Fields

----- End forwarded message -----

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]