Title: #485:  Support alternative sources for the files provider

jhrozek commented:
"""
On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 09:02:22AM -0800, Pavel Březina wrote:
> The option names should drop the `alt` prefix since they default to
> `/etc/passwd` and `/etc/group` which are not default at all.  So it should
> rather be called simply `files_passwd` and ``files_groups`.
>
> Anyway, I only quick-read the patches. I'm not sure now why we call
> `sf_enum_groups()` when enumerating users, @jhrozek do you remember?

Does this comment from the source help?
504
505     /* Covers the case when someone edits /etc/group, adds a group member
and
506      * only then edits passwd and adds the user. The reverse is not needed,
507      * because member/memberof links are established when groups are saved.
508      */

> I wonder, what is the result if two files have conflicting users/groups?

Yea, we should have a test for that..

"""

See the full comment at
https://github.com/SSSD/sssd/pull/485#issuecomment-357914905