My client has a working setup of sssd/kerberos/ldap utilizing yubikeys and
pkinit as the login mechanism, based on sssd 1.15.2 and Ubuntu 16.04.

My client wants to advance from Ubuntu 16.04 LTS to Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. A test
installation of the latter with the corresponding sssd-version 1.16.1 does not
allow yubikey-based login, although both kinit and p11_child do see the yubikey
and the certificate on it. Kinit with yubikey does work.

Analysis of log gives that krb5_child behavior has changed. The function
answer_pkinit is called with kr->pd->cmd set to SSS_PAM_AUTHENTICATE and
kr->pd->authtok set to SSS_AUTHTOK_TYPE_SC_PIN in 1.15.2, but with kr->pd->cmd
set to SSS_PAM_PREAUTH and kr->pd->authtok set to 0 in 1.16.1, causing the
function to skip all pkinit/smarcard-related prompting and processing.

Both installations are using the same sssd.conf,krb5.conf etc.

How shall we fix this?