On Wed Nov  7 23:29:47 2007, Fabio Forno wrote:
On Nov 7, 2007 11:53 PM, Dave Cridland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> (Hmm, this reminds me, I need to get around to finishing and
> publishing an I-D before the deadline on fast reauth).

Perhaps I'm missing something... Fast reauth? You mean just a speedup
in the login process (e.g. a token for rebinding a session) or also
some optimizations such as avoiding the initial presence burst when
going online?
One of the reasons I tend to use id bosh is the ability of keeping the
 session open when the client temporary disconnects

XEP-0198 handles a lot of this, but you still have overhead involved in the round-trips required to setup TLS and reauthenticate. Now, TLS has some magic involved in session reuse, which allows a clever client and server to avoid going through a full TLS session setup, and DIGEST-MD5 has a single RTT fast reauth, too.

The trouble is, few implementations of DIGEST-MD5 fast reauth exist - most servers force you through the full auth sequence - and DIGEST-MD5 is getting phased out. New mechanisms don't have the fast reauth, either.

But in combination, there's no real reason why, given a successful TLS session reuse, the server can't offer EXTERNAL, or something very similar, since the server can assert that the client is "the same as" a previous usage of the session.

This yields a single RTT auth, which, unlike DIGEST-MD5's fast-reauth, is an assertion based mechanism, rather than a negotiation based mechanism - the distinction being that if the server says "Hey, I know you!", then you know that if you make that assertion, it will result in a successful login.

In simpler language, you can pipeline the reauth, which - sort of - eliminates the round-trip.

(The assertion, and usage of it, gets complicated by whether channel binding has been involved, and MITMs - even legitimate ones like BOSH - complicate the issue enormously, but you get the drift).

It's not just an XMPP thing, it hopefully applies to all protocols using SASL and TLS, and therefore it's not a protoXEP, but an I-D.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] - xmpp:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 - http://dave.cridland.net/