On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 12:36 PM, Jonathan Schleifer
<js-xmpp-standa...@webkeks.org> wrote:
> Just having looked at my offline storage, I saw that chat states are stored
> by the server. But of course they are, as the type is chat and thus the
> server has to store them.
>
> Thinking about it, wouldn't it make sense to set the type to headline?
> Are there any reasons why we couldn't just test how many clients still work
> correctly if you just change the type to headline and if most of the clients
> still accept it change the XEP?

I note that having many offline messages suggests a client bug
somewhere - clients should only be sending CSN when they know the
other full-JID side supports it, so CSN in offline store should only
happen if the CSN and the presence-unavailable cross each other on the
wire.

In any case, I don't think this is an appropriate change to a Final XEP.

> And while we're at it, wouldn't the same make sense for PEP?

I believe PEP already suggests this.

/K