On 12 August 2015 at 07:12, Steve Kille <steve.ki...@isode.com> wrote:

> Given that a MAM based approach may be the  preferred medium term
> approach, it seems to me that we should focus efforts to work out what the
> medium term approach is going to be.   If we end up deciding that a MAM
> based approach is preferred, it would be confusing to progress carbons as
> well.

To paraphrase Carl von Clausevitz, the enemy of a good XEP is the dream of
a perfect one.

The fact is that neither the proponents of a solution based around MAM, nor
those who insist there are serious flaws in Carbons as-is, have proposed
anything concrete. The best proposal we have is a vague suggestion that we
should do something with subscriptions to MAM which might provide
multi-device capability.

Meanwhile, I can switch between desktop and mobile (and tablet) with
comfortable ease, even halfway through a conversation, using the existing
specifications, as provided by Openfire, using Gajim and Conversations as
clients.

The above statement is absolutely crucial, since over the past few days the
only consistent feedback from the Myths wiki page concerning a concrete
missing feature in XMPP has been exactly this. We've had people even on
this very list insist that this is a critical use-case unmet by Carbons -
but I can assure you it works very well for me.

There is no other proposal on the table.

I'm backing the one we have.

Dave.